Monday, 3 April 2017

The Power of an Image

Those pictures of the Earth we see from space are spellbinding. Our beautiful blue planet with mountains, deserts and swirling weather stirs the emotions and causes the heart to miss a beat. It is no myth that hardened astronauts, scrupulously trained men and women of the military and science are moved and forever changed by what they see up there in space looking back at their distant home. I cannot then be any less than a global citizen. As a global citizen, it is right that I care about the health of my planet, all the living creatures that share it with me, and what happens there in my name.

My region on the blue planet is Europe. I am a European in terms of genetics, proximity and disposition. I love to travel and explore northern Europe, Greece and Italy. The countries of Europe are so diverse in their culture, cuisine, language, art and music there are never-ending discoveries to be made and old friends to revisit. I am happy to belong to an organisation - the European Union -  that is willing to share ideas, co-operation, wealth and knowledge while maintaining individual national identity. 

So, I am a global citizen and a European while my country of origin is the UK.

An intact version of this Union flag of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland flies in Brussels and New York, and across the whole of the UK as a symbol of friendship and shared values.  

The torn edges of fabric in this photograph began my chain of thoughts and echoed my disquiet and unease as the UK enters a period of change, uncharted waters and perhaps (without being too grandiose), great peril. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Glad to respond to your comment.